Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Maggie Snowel, Team Manager



Age: 33

Home: Rockville, MD

Paddling since: August 2002

Website: www.thinkrain.blogspot.com

Where I learned to paddle: The Potomac

Favorite backyard run: Great Falls of the Potomac

Favorite river sections: Upper Yough, Top Yough, Lower Big Sandy, Upper Blackwater, Green Narrows, North Fork South Platte (Bailey Canyon) CO

Favorite Creeks: Clear Creek of the Arkansas CO, Hunting Creek, Canyon Creek WA,

Favorite types of paddling: Creeking, big water river running, attaining

Favorite non-paddling activities: climbing, hiking, photography, writing

Education: BS in Electrical Engineering. Though I’ve found that this isn’t the career path for me so I’ll be starting a master’s program in Environmental Management this fall and eventually work towards an MBA as well.

I started paddling in the summer of 2002 right here on the Potomac. I’d just graduated from college (Univ. of MD, go Terps!) and started a job at the Naval Surface Warfare Center at Carderock. Conveniently placed 5 minutes from Angler’s it really allowed me to get into paddling easily. I spent my first two summers paddling between the chutes and Carderock everyday. By the end of 2003 I’d decided I was totally in love with the sport. I wanted to get good at it and start running rivers. From there things took off quickly and I was on my way to some great adventures. I gradually worked my way up practicing on nearby runs such as the Upper Yough and eventually got to where I could run the Great Falls of the Potomac in the summer of 2006. 2007 was a big year getting me running more class V. I got on the Upper Blackwater, Russell Fork, and Green Narrows for the first time and paddled over 185 days.

I generally spend 100+ days of the year on the river so other activities tend to come second. I enjoy climbing on occasion but it tends to be an indoor, winter-time activity. I love going on good scenic hikes, especially if I can grab my camera as I really love photography. In the past I’ve tried all sorts of outdoor sports. I spent my youth skiing and sailing with my parents. Tried out windsurfing (which I sucked at, unlike my 65 yr old father who is actually pretty good! And have basic and advanced SCUBA certifications.

My boating travels have sent me all over the country. Though I primarily paddle in the Mid Atlantic states near home I do at least a few trips to the South and Northeast. I’ve also made it out to Canada, the Southwest, Colorado and the Pacific Northwest (I love Oregon!!).

My competitive spirit tends to be limited but I do enjoy be a part of fun events. I’ve really enjoyed participating in the Great Falls, Ohiopyle Falls, Upper Gauley, and Cheat Races. I’ve done some playboating but found that I was neither very good at nor enjoyed it very much so I’ve more or less hung up my playboat so to speak and recently picked up attaining as I find it to be much more enjoyable (I don’t have the patience to sit in line for a playspot anyway). So you’ll often see me charging up river in my super cool retro (and pink!) T-Slalom. I’m also loving my new Green Boat (Thanks PPS!) and look forward to taking it down new runs.

It has really been wonderful “growing up” as a paddler on the Potomac. The DC Area certainly provides a wonderful balance of urban conveniences and amazing outdoor activity. The river itself provides so much. It’s been great getting to work through each step of learning to paddle right here at home. From learning to roll at the Feeder canal, wave surfing at VA Chute, my first waterfall (Canal Falls baby!) to finally getting that first taste of class V on Great Falls. Looking back I can’t imagine a better place to have started!


Sunny has asked me to take over as Team Manager for the 2009 season. I couldn't be more excited!

Think Rain!


Accomplishments:

2007 Upper Gauley Race, 3rd women’s

2007 Great Falls Race, only woman, oh yeah!

2007 Cheat River Race, 3rd women’s long boat

2008 Great Falls Race, 1st women’s

2008 Ohiopyle Falls Race, 3rd women's long and short boat



Posts by Maggie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home